Wildlife and the Environment
Markington Hall and the Copper Beech Glade are adjacent to farmland and nearby woods. Numerous examples of wildlife can be seen or have been sighted including otters, red kites, herons, bats, newts, kingfishers, red and fallow deer, hedgehogs, tawny or screech owls, occasional barn owls and the area is rich in birdlife.
The farmland has been incorporated in the EU ‘Higher Level Entry Scheme’ which provides protection, food and support for wildlife. Pollen banks have been seeded, hedgerows replaced and woodland planted.
Click on these example thumbnails below for info links on each animal.
- Otter Otter http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/European_Otter _blank
- Red Kite Red Kite http://www.yorkshireredkites.net _blank
- Heron Heron http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heron _blank
- Pipistrelle Bat Pipistrelle Bat http://www.nybats.org.uk/index.htm _blank
- Kingfisher Kingfisher http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11673044 _blank
- Tawny Owl Tawny Owl http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Tawny_Owl _blank
- Fallow Deer Fallow Deer http://www.bds.org.uk/fallow.html _blank
- Barn Owl Barn Owl http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_9221000/9221857.stm _blank
- Smooth Newt Smooth Newt http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/479.shtml _blank
- Red Deer Red Deer http://www.bds.org.uk/red_deer.html _blank
- Buzzard Buzzard http://www.natureinthedales.org.uk/species/birds/common-buzzard _blank
- Hedgehog Hedgehog http://www.westyorkshireanimalsinneed.org.uk/page38.htm _blank