Markington Hall is located in the small village of Markington, nestling in the beautiful countryside of North Yorkshire. Markington or Merchinton ( 1086 as it was referred to in the Domesday Book ) dates back to the Bronze Age and today there are still signs of the Barrows constructed during this time.
In 1069 there was no Markington Hall but a fortified hunting lodge which was situated in the Forest of Knaresborough. This was later sacked and burnt to the ground.
The first hall was built about 1285-1309. In 1309 Henry de Markington was listed as being Lord of Markington Manor.
The earlier building at Markington was supplanted by the present Hall in Tudor times (the actual date is unknown) and all that remains of that original building is the six foot thick wall in the big hall next to the fireplace.
In 1698 the Hall was bought by Robert Davye.
Wings were added in the 17thC and 18thC.
In 1731, through the will of Robert Davye of York, the estate passed to the Wilberforce family, with whom it still remains. The present owner is great, great, great, great grandson of William Wilberforce, the slave emancipator, who signified his ownership of the place (though he never actually lived here) by styling himself in his parliamentary canditure as ”of Markington”.
In the early 1930’s extensive alterations to the property, chiefly on the east side of the house, were carried out to the designs of Lord Illingworth of Denton who married Margaret Wilberforce in 1931.
In 1939 the old chapel in the south-east corner of the hall was abandoned in favour of a new chapel constructed in an outbuilding. Here, the original roof timbers have been preserved. This and other outbuildings vie in antiquity with the older part of the Hall, (the 13thC Tithe Barn and coach house) so that as you saunter through the grounds, bygone times hold the imagination.
http://historicmarkington.co.uk A Photographic Record Of The Village In Days Gone By